1. Who is known as the protomartyr or first martyr for Christ?
A. St. Stephen, one of the seven deacons ordained by the Apostles.
2. In the Eastern Catholic Church, which mysteries do we receive immediately after Baptism?
A. Chrismation and Holy Communion.
3. How does the name “Gospel” tell us of its meaning?
A. It is the Good News (Good Spel) of the coming of Christ our Savior.
4. What are the antiphons?
A. An antiphon is a short hymn made up of verses taken from the Old Testament Psalms. They are called antiphons because they are meant to be sung by two groups alternating in answer to one another.
5. The evening service, consisting of psalms hymns, biblical canticles and litanies is called?
6. What is the Greek word meaning conversion or repentance and the continual life of inner change and growth?
7. What are the first five books of the Old Testament called?
A. The Pentateuch.
8. What are the names of the first five book of the Old Testament?
A. Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy.
9. What does the word “Genesis” mean?
A. Genesis means “beginning.”
10. Who was the last prophet?
A. John the Baptist
11. Who baptized Jesus?
A. John the Baptist.
12. What do we celebrate on Palm Sunday?
A. The entrance of our Lord into Jerusalem.
13. What great miracle is celebrated on the Saturday before Palm Sunday?
A. The raising of Lazarus — the miracle of the triumph over death and the symbol of our own resurrection.
14. The Church is one because?
A. As the body of Christ it cannot be divided. Jesus meant it to be one when He prayed of His Apostles: “I pray not only for them, but also for those who will believe in me through their word, so that they may all be one, as you, Father, are in me and I in you, that they also may be in us, that the world may believe that you sent me. And I have given them the glory you gave me, so that they may be one, as we are one. . .” (St. John 17:20-22).
15. The Church is Holy because?
A. Her Founder is holy. The Church it continues Christ’s work of sanctification with the guidance of the Holy Spirit.
16. The Church is Apostolic because?
A. The Church continues to proclaim what was revealed by Christ to His apostles, and continues to evangelize in the same spirit that characterized the apostolic era.
17. Who makes and blesses once a year the Holy Myron for the Sacrament of Holy Chrism?
A. The Patriarch on Holy Thursday.
18. Why does the Priest cut the hair of the child after applying the Chrism?
A. The tonsure represents the child’s first offering to God.
19. What are the mysteries of the Holy Church?
A. Baptism, Chrismation, the Holy Eucharist, Repentance, Holy Orders, Matrimony, and Holy Oil.
20. This Apostle kissed Christ in order to betray Him to those who were about to crucify Him.
A. Judas Iscariot
21. What do we call the words which the priest pronounces over the bread and the wine during the Divine Liturgy?
A. The Words of Institution.
22. Name the Gospel story read on the lst Sunday of Pre-Lent Season
A. The Sunday of the Pharisee and the Publican.
23. Who was the first person to ask Christ to remember him when He came into His Kingdom?
A. The good thief, who was crucified next to Christ.
24. What is the unwritten teaching transmitted by the Church?
A. Holy tradition.
25. What is another name for the Last Supper?
A. The Mystical Supper.
26. Who are the spiritual descendants of the Apostles?